Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Changes and Choices | Our Aging Parents (6/29/16, part 13)

Last night I spent an extra hour and 20 minutes at mom's house trying to sort out her medications. She's so slick at covering up things that it's hard to see what's really happening....what do I mean by that? The worst thing that could happen to her is for someone to say she is wrong, or criticize her or in any way explain she may have made a mistake - and to top it off she's pretty smart and can often stay a step ahead of me. So she is good at doubling back and making excuses for things but I finally just took the pill bottles in the other room and counted each one....and they are all screwed up. So it seems like we had to try the pill organizer because I don't know that there's any other way.

What I didn't expect was that she didn't seem able to understand the process of putting them into the organizer nor did she seem to grasp the concept of taking AM pills in the morning and PM pills at night. We went over and over it and if she can still do a lot of things I'm not sure if she truly can't get this or just doesn't want to because she is so busy refusing to take medications.

No matter how many times I tried to explain it she still asked questions over and over again. I didn't want to do it for her, so she helped with opening the bottles and putting the pills in, one for each morning and then the different ones for nighttime. She kept asking how she would know which compartment to open and when....that's something I've thought over since 8pm last night and I can't explain or understand.

Decided to start calling her twice a day just to see if we could get the conversation towards the pills and if she took them. This morning I asked her and she said what pills? Then she said she didn't know which ones she was supposed to take, had no recollection of last night. She hadn't taken them because she said there are too many and she doesn't know which ones are for today. Again I can't grasp that; she's still able to feed and medicate her dogs just fine, I've watched her do it plenty. Is this because she just doesn't want to take pills - and if so, isn't that pretty extreme for someone to be that evasive? or if she just can't function enough to understand....is it that she truly cannot manage the process at all.....because her last question to me this morning was how would she know what to take tonight.

I'm at a loss.





"Life on Delmarva" • #delmarvausa