Monday, February 13, 2017

Vintage Valentine's Day Greetings | Cute & Retro "Expressions of Love" (part I)

Today I set out to find some amusing images and greetings of affection and love for tomorrow, Valentine's Day. The other half is out of town and from time to time the way we show our devotion to one another is to post multiple greetings and silly, zany images for special occasions.

As I Googled and searched, the odder and stranger the designs of greetings from yesterday became. I'm aware that back in the day, February 14th was considered a big "to do" and a much-enjoyed celebration for all, but somehow the true scope of this holiday had slipped past me, however once I began finding gems like these....



.....I knew I just had to see what else was out there in the category of odd and corny romance, and got sucked right into a goofy world of hearts, puns and witty comments from decades past. I felt a little like Alice having fallen down the rabbit hole, wondering if these greetings were met with blushing admiration, giggles or romantic gestures? Check out this article for a history of Valentine's through the years: "In the 1910s the Hall Brother’s Company began printing their own versions of the Valentine’s card, a company which later morphed into Hallmark, still going strong on the Valentine’s front today. During the Roaring Twenties bright young things would send teasing cards with flirtatious rather than overtly romantic messages. The American Depression and post-war gloom changed the light-hearted tone to something more earnest during the 1930s, with more muted colors in keeping with the prevailing mood of the time."


I certainly hope you enjoy these charmingly adorable greetings and antique postcards - click on any image to open a larger version in a new window.



















I hope these brought a smile to your face. To see more, click to view Vintage Valentines Part II hereHappy Valentine's Day! 







community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"