Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Maybe I should look up more often....

The parking lot of the local grocery store is a zoo when I arrive on the Wednesday before Turkey Day. I knew it would be crowded and that they would probably be out of many items, but that's what you get when you're running back and forth to another state trying to take care of an elderly parent. Everything becomes a blur; time gets away from you, and suddenly the holiday is here.



From the parking lot I can hear a familiar clanking, the sound of a bell being rung with enthusiasm, and as I walk towards the door I see two senior citizens standing their post beside the bright red Salvation Army kettle. I'm on my phone trying to read what I wrote at 2:am, but happen to notice one of them has an oxygen tank and the other one isn't exactly young..... yet they are, patiently ringing and waiting for people to notice them. Like everyone else walking into a grocery store on the day before Thanksgiving, all of the bodies marching past are like robots just following each other, kind of like a parade of ants, either looking at a list in their hand or staring down at their phones.


As I pass, I briefly look up and see one of the guardians of the red kettle smiling at me, and instantly I feel selfish. He's probably been standing there all day smiling at people and most of us aren't even noticing. I put my phone in my pocket, backtrack a couple of steps and pull out a few dollars to put into the kettle. The gentleman's face proceeds to light up like a Christmas tree, he grins from ear to ear, and with genuine holiday spirit, enthusiastically wishes me a blessed Thanksgiving. I smile back, wishing him the same; grateful for his cheerful message and sincerity. Maybe I should look up from my phone a little more often.






community • marketing • small business advocate • car lover
salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"