Monday, June 5, 2017

Buy Fresh, Buy Better: Why I Support Our Local Family Farms

Do you put your money into your own community by actively supporting locally-owned and operated farms? I think there is something amazing about pulling off the road at a produce stand located at the end of a long driveway, with acres of majestic farmland stretching out as far as the eye can see.


  
Sometimes you'll know it's a family affair by a weathered sign by a mailbox lettered "third generation", "century farm" or "established 1890"....or it may be just an enterprising individual with a retail location. I always find myself sort of eying up the person who's on site, wondering if they are really the owner, farm operator or perhaps a relative, curious to know if I'm actually speaking with the folks responsible for the bounty I now hold in my hands. I guess part of me is always sort of in awe at the fruits of their labor - the grit and determination with which these families carry out the monumental task of feeding the world.


I'm fortunate to have a multitude of family-owned and operated farms here in my corner of the world, some with newly built retail operations which sit out in front of rolling acres of crops, others with nothing more than a small table and canopy setup, cash box and honor system. It's become part of me to seek out local options for shopping in all areas of my life, and when it comes to the individuals who grow and raise the food we're eating I guess I'm a little bit in awe. Seeing a kid selling what their own family farm has produced, sometimes with a parent or grandparent hovering in the background, I don't know.....it sort of just makes me celebrate a little bit inside, knowing I'm speaking with people who are truly the heart and soul of our country. Their lives are intertwined with ours; sons of the century farm down the road are fourth generation volunteer fire company members and relatives of another operation are consistently involved in their town and local church. Not everyone understands that, perhaps, but to those of us who grew up without roots and in fractured families, the lack of ties to something tangible remains something to be admired.


Of course, I don't come out and express my awe when I stop by, because I think nothing labels you as a weirdo quite as much as babbling over "meeting a real farmer", but inside I'm really appreciative of the opportunity to purchase from a "real farm". To me that is a golden experience; a human letting me know what's going to be available next week; pausing to answer my questions about cooking squash; the times when one of these "real farmers" walked over to talk a bit or share information about the animals I was admiring - those moments not only reinforced who they are but gave me a sense of connection to this place they have built. It's what makes me go out of my way and skip over products at the grocery story for the chance to instead drive down a back country road and make another couple of stops. Maybe it's about believing where we spend actually matters, because as a transplant who's never known something this permanent, who can only imagine what it's like to have this rich history and strong ties to the area, moments like these are experiences worth savoring.


I hope you too can discover meaningful ways to incorporate local spending into your life as well, so you can discover the "love of local" I've found. Thanks for reading!







community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"