Thursday, August 31, 2017

And Then Just Like That, Here It Is.....the Last Day of August

I don't know where it went; how the weeks of the last three months somehow shrank themselves into such a brief whirlwind of sunshine-filled days on the beach, hot and humid nights on the boardwalk, melting ice cream cones, and streets that turned into wavy, shimmering lines if you stared at them too long. I'm not sure why the days and nights from Memorial Day to Labor Day Weekend feel as if they've evaporated like a brief afternoon shower.....or how, during the winter and spring, that we view summer as an endless paradise of blank space rolling out in front of us, and then so quickly and quietly, it fades away.



  
Because I was feeling kind of deflated today, it didn't seem worth wandering outside and across the field tonight to capture the sun sinking slowly just beyond the tree line. It's not as if I could bring back June or July, and here we are in August, watching it slipping away through my fingers as if I'd sat and done nothing for three whole months. But I had - as a matter of fact, I'd made a real effort to get out and do things this summer; visit more main streets, attend events, and stroll the sidewalks of small towns sprinkled across our landscape of Delmarva. I'd spent hours marveling at incredible old wooden boats when they came into town one weekend, talked with the proud owners of tiny stores and eateries on backroads, and huddled over black and white photographs and newspaper clippings in small museums.






 
Although time management remains one of my bigger challenges in life, I persisted in claiming free space every week to simply go and explore, soak up the stories and exhibits and displays chronicling the people and places of our Delmarva history. It was a bit of a struggle, but for the most part I've been halfway successful at sticking to a plan, and I'm thankful to have grabbed that time. For the first time in memory, I managed to work during the hours which are most productive for me, wrote lists and crossed off tasks, simply so I could become free to wander the backroads of the eastern shore counties.






But still, it all went by awfully fast. Earlier this week, cleaning out some files on my computer, I discovered a folder of unedited pictures, stashed in a hurry one day as I unloaded my camera from another day of adventure. Pausing to edit these snapshots reminded me the season of autumn is just days away, and around the corner awaits Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the holiday season. Yes, I'm sad to see this summer ending, for many reasons, but this time, I have so many memories to keep with me, photos I've taken, and stories I was able to hear. Maybe that's what summertime is all about.





Thanks for stopping by my blog! 😀

community first • marketing consultant • advocate for small business  lover
of classic cars • beach girl • believer that "together we accomplish more"