Saturday, August 7, 2021

National Sandcastle Day - Celebrating Summer!

Happy Sandcastle Day, celebrated on August 7th this year, and always observed on the first Saturday of August.



I have always been fascinated by the cities and creations I remember building for hours by the sea. ☺ As a kid I remember saving mom's plastic containers to haul to the beach, pack sand into and turn upside down to create building blocks of all sizes. Once you had used the larger molds to build a base, such as the wide plastic tubs which had contained ice cream for example, you could decorate the structure with towers, walls and and little details. I would have an array of yogurt containers, drinking cups or even perhaps a metal baking pan with a design or fluted edge - if mom would let me have an old one to use in my construction efforts. 😎 We didn't have the store-bought plastic castle-building sets which I saw the other kids using - colorful molds which sculpted the sand for you and produced elaborate bricks and detailed shapes! Money was tight and mom rolled her eyes at the thought of buying such things - and yet I recall being happy as clams with our basic building accessories. What do you remember about sandcastles? Did you love making them as a kid, and do you build them now with your own children? 🌊🌞🏖



Here's a link to this day's celebration on the "Days of the Year" website. Have a great weekend!


P.S. I did see that this holiday is also celebrated on August 19th but since I've most often seen it on the , that's what we're going with.

I hope you get the opportunity to break away to the beach, if you have one close by, sketch a sandcastle or even just close your eyes for a few moments and conjure up in your mind the sounds and feelings one might enjoy while creating a masterpiece on the beach. 🙂





community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"