Wednesday, May 4, 2022

'Why I Buy Local" | Thoughts for Small Business Week

Somebody I've known for years (not close friends, just acquaintances), upon hearing me say we haven't been in a Walmart in 13 years just asked me "but where do you buy stuff, get your car worked on, get groceries!?"



I thought back to a year ago when the other half was in the hospital and the owner of the local pet supply store where we shop learned I was having a tough time. They offered to deliver products to our home directly, even though it was out of their normal area, and even gave me their home phone in case I needed anything. (that's why I don't need to purchase all those items at walmart).




I thought about the family auto repair shop we've used for 23 years and how one of their employees answered my call on a Saturday and drove down to tow my dead vehicle out of the road and back to the shop, despite being closed on weekends. (that's why I don't need a big box store to do regular auto service stuff).




I remembered the countless occasions when a local family was in need or had a crisis and I'd seen our family-owned independent grocery store hold a fundraiser or send one of their trucks over to help deliver donations or participate in a food drive. I guess that's why I spend 12 extra minutes driving over to one of their locations. (so I'm fine without walmart groceries I guess).





We're not wealthy people. I just know that my footprint on this earth affects other people too, and thus I choose to spend where it makes the most difference. Stay loyal to local, because our independents STILL matter more.



community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"