Friday, August 23, 2019

The 59th Eastern Shore Threshermen Association Show (August 2019)

One of the most fascinating and (in my opinion), exciting and memorable events on Delmarva is coming up once again in August. In a field on Maryland's eastern shore, surrounded by trees, farmland and wide open spaces, machinery from the past will once again rumble to life and offer visitors the unique and one-of-a- kind opportunity to travel back into history.




We first visited the Eastern Shore Threshermen Association in August of 2015. I'd seen a poster for the show and having never seen of such equipment up close was curious to check it out. Completely and utterly amazed by what I saw sprawled out in front of me as we got out of the car, I instantly fell in love with the machines, the people and their stories. Since then I can't seem to stop telling folks just how incredible I think this event is, and I'm hoping you'll be there to see for yourself.




Last year, my fourth time attending the show, we paused to sit in the shade on long wooden benches which stretch out under the trees. As we rested, a gentleman approached and settled into his spot where a guitar stood in front of us. He began to play and sing, and as I've been so many times before at this event, I was captivated by the soulful simplicity of life at that moment.





Later that day I posted a photo and tried to sum up what went through my mind as I sat and watched him perform: "Something occurred to me this year while on the grounds of the Eastern Shore Threshermen's Association, more than during previous visits I think. A turbulent 18 month span filled with sadness and major changes in life had left me feeling exhausted and empty, and yet here I was, grateful to be attending this annual tradition. As I soaked up the sights and sounds and observed the machinery and people, I was reminded how there are so few places on earth where one can truly step back in time and how incredibly lucky I was to find one of them. It was hot that day, warmer than I could remember in previous years, and yet I could have sat on that bench and listened to the man playing his guitar for hours. It was just a small but refreshing piece of the experiences which make this event a very special component of the Delmarva Peninsula. I wish I could go on and somehow bottle the essence of all there is to observe, watch and be a part of, to somehow pass that on to you, but since it can't be done I'll just hope that you go and experience it for yourself."






ALBUMS/LINKS

• See my photos on Facebook here
• 2018 album on Altered Delmarva
• 2017 album via Altered Delmarva
• Threshermen's Association on Facebook
• Article about the 2018 show via the Times Record
Blog post about a 2016 visit


I hope you decide to take your children - but leave the cell phones and gadgets in the car. Take lots of photos yes, but spend more time listening to the conversations among four generators of family members, assembled once more for this annual gathering. Read the hand-lettered signage telling you the background of some treasured family heirlooms or vintage automobile on display, stay until 5pm for the "Grand Parade" and learn about the types of equipment you see rolling by. Buy a broom that's handmade right in front of you, support the Threshermen's Association by purchasing the awesome souvenirs, t-shirts and other collectibles on display. Soak up the experience and I promise you will be glad you did.












community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"