Thursday, October 3, 2019

The Beauty of Buying Less | Why Something Handmade Is More Meaningful

To me, thinking about holiday shopping means trying to begin early - in order to have options. Finding the perfect gift isn't always as easy when one decides to search through individual shops and artist studios, as compared to just driving into the mega-sized parking lots of gianormous big box stores boasting literally, zillions of "things".


Choosing something of quality can be a bit time-consuming, often requiring a little education about or understanding of a product, and these purchases are not so easy to just order online. And yet.....I'd still rather at least try; attempt to find something with a story, that came from the hands of a local maker, because it feels better to give one single gift that will be valued, rather than a whole pile of cheap trinkets.


Years ago, my father, who was very particular about what he liked and thus difficult to buy for, was battling cancer. As he was spending much of his time in bed, he wanted books, notepads, a lap desk type of thing, which doesn't sound too difficult, does it? Shopping has never been my favorite activity and hunting for gifts for my family has never been easy, most often accompanied by worry on my part. After scouring many local stores, most which offered a different display of exactly the same items, we headed to the location of a large warehouse housing a number of area artists. I'd heard of the place from friends who raved over it, but once surrounded by countless objects and stunning pieces of work, I couldn't help but notice most were well out of my price range. And, at first glance, it didn't seem as if paintings, glass vases or earrings would be of any interest to my dad.


And then I saw it.... the most beautiful clipboard I'd ever laid eyes on. Created from a variety of wood pieces, the clever blending of hues and colors resulted in a stunning  pattern, and I realized this purchase was in my budget, allowing me to take home a small but  unique  craftsmanship. 
I picked it up and stood there, marveling at the smoothness of the materials and skill of workmanship. There were plenty of similar products on display too, and while I couldn't afford the larger pieces in the gallery, I was convinced the clipboard had been created and placed there just for me to find. The artist was not present, but the person who approached me was pleasant and highly knowledgeable about the merchandise, and during our brief conversation they made me feel as if I had indeed stumbled across THE GIFT that mattered.




Dad loved it. He couldn't get over the craftsmanship, and the clipboard instantly became a fixture around his books, papers and writings. He's gone now but recently during a trip back home, I wandered into his former office and there was the clipboard still on the desk. I couldn't help but pick it up and admire it again, as someone reminded me just how perfect of a present I'd chosen; "you do know how much Dad enjoyed that, don't you?" And that's what I think buying a true piece of art is about.





community • marketing • small business advocate • car lover
salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"