Thursday, March 18, 2021

Won't You Be My Neighbor Day | Celebrating Mr. Fred Rogers

I talk a lot on my social media sites about neighborhood, connections to people where you live, local flavor, etc. Growing up I never had that - I mean, we lived in a subdivision, but my family didn't interact well with others - and so that just became the norm. 😕 Later on in my next chapter of life, when we bought our first house, it seemed weird and strange to just walk outside and talk to well.....strangers 😳 and so I kept my distance.




It wasn't until we moved again that I learned what knowing your neighbors meant, how simple, uncomplicated conversations and casual friendships could bring such joy to an ordinary world. That's when I found, and fell in love, with the coolest people who owned small businesses in our area, folks who cared what your name was, valued loyalty and went out of their way to make things right. ❤ From those experiences, friendly faces and favorite places, grew my commitment to local and appreciation for personal connections. There is value in a strong community, built by individuals who share a sense of belonging to something larger than themselves, and while I understand this concept is not as popular as it once was, it remains a way of life which stands to benefit everyone involved.


I didn't grow up with Mr. Rogers but as an adult his principles and words struck a chord with me, and celebrating one's community seems only natural to me now. "Won't You Be My Neighbor Day" is observed on March 20th, the anniversary of Mr. Rogers birthday, and encourages individuals to perform acts of kindness. Read more on the website set up in his honor, The Fred Rogers Center, or Google ideas and suggestions for celebrating this occasion.




Maybe now is a good time to consider small ways in which we can care for each another? During the challenges of the past year, it seems our local connections have been more critical than ever before, and for many, almost a lifeline of sorts. I'm pretty sure Mr. Rogers would be the first one to enthusiastically agree, and I hope you will too. Happy Good Neighbor Day to you and yours. 🙂









community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"