Saturday, September 10, 2022

A Glance At the Past: Phillips Beach Plaza Hotel

I am the kind of person who loves things from the past - items which once held a special place in the local area - and find them to be far more meaningful than just an ordinary thing which can be bought anywhere. Guess that makes me a nostalgic type of individual, since seeing an old piece of furniture, for example, rehomed into a new location where it will be appreciated and valued as part of history, that feels so much more satisfying than a store-bought purchase.

 
If you've read some of my previous blog posts you may have seen several titled "Disappearing Delmarva", each referencing a business or establishment which was part of the local scene, but is now gone. I'm not a gloomy ghoul (at least I try not to be), but I enjoy noticing and photographing such endings, to remember their presence in our lives.


The Beach Plaza Hotel in Ocean City is one of those places. Established in the 1950's, it was later purchased in the 1970's by the Phillips family, legendary Ocean City seafood business owners. I've heard how elegant the building was, along with the service and accommodations, and mourned when the hotel closed several years ago.


Last week, I caught a glimpse of an opportunity; items from the shuttered hotel were to be sold at online auction (ebay), with the proceeds benefitting the Ocean City Lifesaving Station Museum. Wow - a chance to own a small piece of local history, perhaps - something truly unique that would inspire conversations in years to come. I can't lie; the very first thing I looked up was the orante and beautifully designed lampposts, which sat just feet off the boardwalk, flanking the hotel staircases. I'm thinking those beauties are going to go for a pretty penny, and I'm afraid they will be well out of my price range, but I added them to my watch list anyway.


A few pieces of dark wood furniture caught my eye next. We've been looking for a particular type of item for our entryway, but the size and shape of our vision is fairly specific and thus, not easy to find. Imagine having a real part of OC history in our eclectic home, I mused, since we'd prefer an entire home of mix & match pieces that carry a story, over a beautifully coordinated interior. I had to go see these pieces before bidding, and just maybe, sneak a quick peek at the hotel interior one last time.


There are about 46 items listed for sale on eBay. Above is one of the incredible pieces of stained glass (there are three of them), which are massive at ten feet tall. Chandeliers, lamps, chairs and more are included on the list, and several wooden sideboards or cabinets that I was interested in, but may be too large for our space.


What I couldn't take my eyes off was the details that once adorned this hotel lobby; columns, elaborate wood trim, columns and grand Victorian style. It was like falling down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland to stand in what was the parlor, and look out over the boardwalk and Atlantic Ocean - I couldn't help but wonder just how many guests had done just that over the decades of operation. Countless memories must have been made here; infinite chats would have taken place over tea; countless numbers of visitors would have arrived in this front lobby that is now being taken apart piece by piece, prior to demolition.


What a classic experience the Beach Plaza Hotel must have been for decades, a stark contrast to buildings created these days which are nothing more than bland shapes with no soul or substance. The grand, high ceilings overhead with dusty glass fixtures are now things of the past, as are the hours spent in conversation in an oceanfront parlor, but for a few of us, the magic remains with the opportunity to acquire these fixtures. If you are the high bidder, you'll have stories to tell about where your mismatched home decor came from, and the history of days gone by. Just give me a chance to get my bid in on those lampposts, okay? 😄





Thanks for stopping by my blog! 😀

community first • marketing consultant • advocate for small business  lover
of classic cars • beach girl • believer that "together we accomplish more"