Wednesday, August 29, 2018

I Love Mushrooms | Vintage Holiday Images and Retro Mushroom Artwork

I am fascinated by mushrooms. It started about 25 years ago when we were first married and everyone would ask me what type of theme I'd decorated the kitchen with....as IF I had decorating skills, ha ha. Somehow it was one of those things that just bypassed my brain and I never even thought about picking out a certain scheme of any kind. However, once I'd seen endless collections of apple, grapes and strawberries sprawled across my friend's kitchens it made me decide I had to have something totally opposite, and so I choose 'shrooms.


I found the seventies vibes of bright orange and gold accessories charming, fell in love with adorable gnome houses and THEN started collecting holiday cards featuring festive red and white polka-dotted mushrooms. Apparently, once you begin noticing a certain thing it seems that you will begin finding it everywhere - and I did. Here are some of the designs which ushered in good wishes for Christmas and New Year's Eve during the 50's and 60's, and which now are made into collages or artwork in my house. Don't forget to check out the links at the bottom of this post!


First up are a few images found during the fall and Halloween. I'm guessing the two with the ladies are meant to show costume ideas perhaps, which is pretty clever actually. And I love the idea of using gourds and small pumpkins to create the outdoor harvest decorations too!








Check out this cool time-lapse of "mushrooms
in bloom" video I found on Facebook!


Christmas Designs





     



    


    



New Year's Designs


     


     




** Added November '18: Advertising and Promotional Images


The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron | In print since the 1950s, the Mushroom Planet series is back with a new design by illustrator Kevin Hawkes. Don t miss the adventures of Chuck and David, two boys who travel to the alien planet Basidium in their homemade spaceship. This timeless series is a classic that is sure to be read over and over again.



SANTA CLAUS THE MAGIC MUSHROOM & THE PSYCHEDELIC ORIGINS OF CHRISTMAS





Aug 15, 1984: IF YOU DARE TO BE GREAT... YOU NEED MUSHROOM GRIPS!





And FINALLY, here is my favorite holiday image. Isn't it lovely?? Thanks for reading and have a great day! :)






community advocate | marketing consultant | dedicated to small business | fan of
classic cars & hot rods | beach lover | believer that "together we accomplish more"