Tuesday, December 31, 2019

That's Weird: Old-Time New Year's Greetings That Will Make You Wonder

I wasn't going to do a post featuring adorable, creepy and terrifying images about New Year's..... but they spoke to me and demanded to be showcased. I think there's a lot which went on in the late 1800's - early 1900's we may just.....never. Understand.


So now we know why folks seem so cheery on vintage greeting cards..... lots of parties, everyone is drunk, and the kiddies are driving around with wineglasses....??


Nothing to worry about here, just a kindly old gentleman welcoming? Sending away? A missile/bomb - oh wait, is that a floating loaf of bread?


The little kid by the seashore clock was not completely naked but....well, I added a shell.


More focus on cocktails and drunkenness, which seems to be the theme of the "good old days".


Now this card is a lovely old design.


When not drinking apparently those celebrating January 1st .....raced birds. I mean, if you're going to let the kiddos drink, why not let them loose on the track too? And there's the hatching of new residents going on....?? 🤔 #DISTURBING


Somehow this cheerful old man does not inspire a warm and fuzzy feeling... 🤔


This card is described as "A robin wishes the recipient of this New Year's greetings card a 'Merry Toper', or a good drink, circa 1871." See the entire post of awesome designs here.


Additional images I felt should be included here.....







Thanks for following my blog and I wish you a fabulous year ahead!! See out my other collections of seasonal cheer at the links below


Holiday Humor, Part III
Internet Funnies of the Season
Vintage Christmas Cats, Part II
Navigating the Holidays: Coping & Survival
Happy New Year from the Beach
Holiday Humor, Part II
Retro Rides and Santa's Transportation
Twenty-five Awesome Holiday Pet Memes
Holiday Humor, Part I
Christmas by the Seashore
New Year Wishes and Charming Greetings
Retro Holiday Greetings
The Vintage Cats of Christmas, Part I


Finally, I leave you with this collection of "what were they thinking??" 17 Strange And Creepy Vintage New Years Cards






community advocate | marketing consultant | dedicated to small business | fan of
classic cars and hot rods | beach lover | believer that "together we accomplish more"