Thursday, May 28, 2020

What Does "Community" Mean To You?

I talk a lot about people, neighborhood, local places and building a better place to live. My reflections on community aren't shared for likes or driven by an agenda, but are simply a collection of beliefs and observations I've collected over the past decade. How I grew up wasn't this way at all, in fact it was the complete opposite of what I describe now. Isolated, cut off from the world and raised with a distrust and distance from people was the norm; for years I subscribed to that way of thinking and my best to hang back and remain distant and aloof.




The things which led to a change in my perspective, and the situations which shifted my mind aren't really the focus of this post, partly because I lack the ability to put it into words, but also because right now, for the first time in my life, I'm involved; active; finding my voice. That's what's taking the stage right now, because when one begins to evolve or morph into a different sort of creature, it's natural to become caught up in such a process. The energy and time spent soaking it all in - as well as participating and learning - have all contributed to my perceptions on the good which surrounds us. We may not always see the beauty in neighbors, the benefits of togetherness or understand the sense of belonging; perhaps sometimes we don't pause long enough to look, but I promise you it's out there. Hope you enjoy my thoughts.





Kindness, and the desire to improve our way of life, can make all things possible.





Actions speak louder.





There is indeed, strength which comes from multiple people joining their collective efforts.





.....and everyone can start somewhere.





Sometimes I think we sort of hang back quietly, not wanting to look stupid by presenting an idea or making suggestions. Is that you? I know it was me for a lot of years, until I learned that saying something is the best way to begin.





Why it matters to find your tribe, to connect with people who share interests and goals.




My strengths are not your best attributes, but when merged together we can do great things.





Because when people find a reason to come together and fuel their collective passion, the sky is the limit!





Sometimes it takes the desire to achieve a common goal to launch an effort.





Inviting others to participate sometimes brings out the best in those who often say little.





A real success to be celebrated is the process of bringing everyone to the finish line.together, and those moments happen when people are open, honest and eager.





Reciprocate - often and with enthusiasm - because helping fellow entrepreneurs is a powerful way to build a better local economy.





If you aren't genuinely interested in the cause your motivation won't be there. For people to want to come together and work towards a common goal, there must be a shared, defining reason.





"Your strengths may not be my best attributes, but when merged together we achieve great things." What can you do?






Thanks for reading and have a beautiful day!










community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"