Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Our Coastal Towns Awaken | Recovery from a Pandemic in Ocean City, Maryland

Saturday, May 9th: with social distancing and safety guidelines in place, the beach and boardwalk in Ocean City reopened to the public. My goal is to walk by the surf, soak up the salt air and gratefully admire the simple beauty of the Atlantic Ocean. We've changed, however, since March, and nothing in our world is ever going to be quite the same again.



I'm inlet bound on an empty Coastal Highway



A serene, too-quiet stretch of pavement



Messages of hope are everywhere



"Stay safe friends; we miss you; God bless"




"See you soon; reopen in May; reserve now"



Deserted parking garages


Sit underneath vacant condo buildings


i spy the giant red claws of a mini-golf lobster


Silent neon signs without words


An empty convention center


Banners listing carryout specials


Traffic lights turning red for ghost traffic


"Delivery now available"




I'm missing my favorite places


People cluster and wait by restaurant doors


The Old Pro pirate peers through his spyglass


Flashing letters tell me of carryout specials



the wind is whipping down a deserted beach


Shrieking, scurrying, scavenging birds


Heavy cloud cover giving way to blue sky




A vacant, slowly rotating Ferris Wheel blowing in the wind


Tiny, stinging grains pelting against my legs


Delighted squeals from a small child


Squinting into the self-pay kiosk screen


The smell of Thrashers French Fries


Mournful, dull crashing symphony of the Atlantic


Errant, powerful winds pounce on me as I pass underneath the pier


Overcast, melancholy slate gray clouds




Seagulls evaluating my potential for food


An old dog with a patient, strolling man


Clouds parting to let the sun shine through



People huddle together by the surf's edge


A slow moving barge creeps by


The crackling, snapping of "park here" flags


Pools of seawater the ocean left behind






Silhouettes of soaring, feathered residents cross the pavement
   

the absence of time with no clock in sight


Climbing steps to the pier which are dusted with sand



listening to the eerie, mournful creaking of amusement rides


Tiny, persistent bird eyes are observing me with hope

  
i round the a corner of an alley into a strong, salty gust of wind


a large group of selfie-snapping teenagers




Kite weather perhaps, I think to myself


The crunch of tiny shells beneath my feet


A whale-shaped sign boasts of scrumptious seafood


An excited family running towards the waves

 
Interlocked fingers of an entranced couple


the slightly unsteady feel of shifting sand


I'm realizing seventy minutes have passed






An unwilling, reluctant walk back to the car


my shoes are heavy and thumping, full of sand


The echo of crashing waves begins to fade


Then... silence as I swing the car door shut


Time to head back to return to the real world


It's okay, I can go now. My soul has been restored.





community advocate • marketing consultant • voice for small business
classic car lover • salt life • believer that "together we accomplish more"