Monday, October 5, 2015

Damaged

I don't think people understand what it's like to have a disability. If they've never been there, how can you know? But you say you "get it", that it's fine; that you understand...how? Not all defects and imperfections show - some are just silently lurking underneath the surface but aren't obvious. Sometimes they ask what's wrong...and sometimes I try to explain. But how do you put
into words something they can't even see?


There are people who go through life thinking that they aren't that different....despite being damaged. THEY are the ones who don't let anything get in their way or allow their situation to define them. That's a great way to live.....I just don't know how to do it. 


I AM damaged. And being diagnosed, is now defining what I am....and what I am is broken.