Sunday, July 23, 2023

Adopt, Rescue, Love: Then Learn How to Let Go

I don't think I processed the loss of my amazing, beautiful, cranky, and incredible Lucy last August. Rescued at 3 years old, she took over our home and our lives for a decade, and then left us a year ago. Last summer, we were struggling to learn how to manage our newest adopted pup, and the hours spent working with him and juggling everything else in life just ran together. When our girl left us I grieved, but not like I am now.....


...because now we've lost both of our red and white, rescued, "Strawberry" basset hounds. The silence feels DEAFENING.



I didn't have that "quiet house" syndrome when we said goodbye to Lucy, because our remaining basset hound Watson was like having 3 dogs and it was plenty noisy still....and I just didn't let myself be sad. But when Watson left us in June, suddenly, unexpectedly, and in a heart-wrenching twist of fate, something just hit me that this incredible pair of hounds was gone forever. They weren't always the best of friends, but they were adopted family members who in recent years, became much closer; during each of their recent illnesses they'd seemed to lean on each other more and more, and when they were younger looked like siblings with their similar red and white colored markings.




Losing a rescued furkid is always painful, but something about this time left a crater in my heart. There will be other dogs, and one day I won't wake up feeling as if a heavy grey cloud is weighing over me, but these two were incredibly special to our household.  #bestdogsever








community first • marketing consultant • advocate for small business  lover
of classic cars • beach girl • believer that "together we accomplish more"